When someone is suffering with varicose veins, it is important to know the treatment options that are available to them. More importantly, it is vital that they find a doctor that can help them in finding the best treatment for their varicose veins. There are several specialists that you can see, but which doctor is right for you? If your symptoms are severe and painful, then it is better to seek medical help from a doctor who has been able to treat varicose veins effectively. Be sure to find the doctor that is best for you and your medical situation.

Primary Care Physicians

When it comes to your health, it is very important that you have a Primary Care Physician (PCP) who understands your medical history and can help you get the best treatment for varicose veins. Your PCP may be easier to access in the immediate moment, but more often than not, they will only be able to diagnose you with vein disease and refer you to a specialist for treatment. They can recommend treatments that are proven effective and safe and provide you with the right medication to help manage your symptoms. However, the referral to a specialist is the most important part of the process with your PCP.


One of the specialists you may be referred to is a phlebologist. A phlebologist will examine your blood for signs and symptoms that might indicate varicose veins. This specialist has received post-graduate training in vascular medicine and has passed a series of tests to become a phlebologist. This specialist will be able to diagnose you by using a vascular ultrasound to determine if there are any abnormalities or problems with your blood flow. They can also administer sclerotherapy, which is a procedure that injects a medicine into the blood vessels to shrink them. However, this specialist is limited to cosmetic treatment of varicose veins.

Vascular Surgeons

A vascular surgeon can treat your varicose veins with more of a focus on surgical options. These doctors completed several years of schooling as well as a two-year vascular surgery fellowship. They are ABMS certified to provide medical care before and after surgery. They can perform the procedure known as radiofrequency ablation (RFA) therapy or surgery. It is a minimally invasive procedure that involves heat to cause the blood vessel to close because of scar tissue produced. Instead of using a laser, this technique uses radio frequencies. A vascular surgeon is skilled in this technique and other surgical options to treat and remove your varicose veins. 

Vein Specialists

Similarly, a vein specialist is trained to diagnose and treat varicose veins. This type of specialist can also perform sclerotherapy as well as laser therapy for varicose veins. Transdermal laser therapy can be provided by this specialist to kill the problem veins with a small laser that will help in removing the blood from them. Also, vein specialists can perform endovascular laser treatment to remove the veins from their body. In contrast to the surgeons, they specialize in minimally invasive, “no-knife” curative procedures for varicose veins.

Interventional Radiologists

An interventional radiologist is a specialist that can be seen for varicose veins, as well. These professionals utilize radiology and imaging to diagnose then treat varicose veins with minimally invasive procedures such as RFA, endovascular laser therapy, and sclerotherapy.

Cardiologists and Dermatologists

Less likely to be referred by your PCP, but specialists that can still treat varicose veins are cardiologists and dermatologists. Cardiologists usually see patients with larger cardiological issues but can treat varicose veins by permanently removing the veins or using catheter-based treatments. They can also administer RFA, sclerotherapy, and other laser therapies. Dermatologists, however, have a different approach. They can provide some laser treatments and sclerotherapy, but it is usually administered as a cosmetic fix versus a cure.

If you are diagnosed with varicose veins, you can rest assured that there are several treatment options available to you. There are also several types of specialists that you can see for treatment. The most important takeaway from this article is that it is not a matter of which type of treatment you choose, but which treatment is best for your specific needs and wants. You are your best advocate, so make sure you are getting the best treatment that you need. Dr. Thomas at CT Cardio has lots of experience with Sclerotherapy and both spider and varicose vein treatments. If you are unsure where to start, we would be happy to sit down and take a look at your situation. Dr. Thomas finds it crucial to not only look at the issue, but at the root of the issue and can provide you with recommendations to minimize and/or prevent further complications in the future. Contact CT Cardio today!